New York City schools reopened Monday after a two-day lockdown that was in part triggered by a man’s claim that he was attacked by school security officers.
The lockdown lasted three days and involved more than 3,000 students and staff.
NYC schools reopened Tuesday with students returning to classrooms.
More: NYPD and other agencies have launched an investigation into the man’s claims.
In New York, the lockdown began on Oct. 14 after an 18-year-old man reported to school security that someone had attacked him.
The man told the school security he was assaulted in the school cafeteria and that he had been shot in the chest.
The attacker allegedly left and was later caught in a nearby park.
Authorities launched a search for the man and the school, which opened at 9 a.m.
A school spokesperson said the lockdown was lifted about 10:30 a..m., but the lockdown remained in place until Wednesday afternoon.
The lockdown was triggered after the man told police that he and other students had been attacked in the cafeteria and a teacher’s aide was assaulted and arrested, officials said.
The school, however, was not under a lockdown and students and staffers were allowed to return to classes, a spokesperson said.
Students were allowed back to school on Wednesday, though many were still on lockdown.
After a day of lockdown, the school reopened around noon.
Police are still investigating the man who made the false report, and are interviewing witnesses and other witnesses, a school spokesperson told the New York Post.
The New York Public Library tweeted a photo of a man holding a book.
It was not clear if the man was arrested or if he was still in custody.